Do you have a passion for helping others? Are you driven by a desire to give back and make a difference wherever you go? If so, we have several full-time, part-time, and seasonal opportunities that might be a fit for you! We are seeking Program Assistants to work with various vulnerable populations including individuals with Special Needs and/or seniors that are frail and memory impaired. This position is in Nassau County, Long Island.
Our ideal candidates will be kind-hearted, caring, patient, and possess strong interpersonal skills, which includes the ability to effectively relate and communicate with our program participants. They will be an active participant in all programs and activities and will assist the Specialized Services Supervisors.
How You’ll Help Us Be Successful:
- Ensures safety of program participants while at program site. Depending on assignment, program locations may vary. Program assignments may include vocational training center programs for interns with special needs, afterschool and weekend programs for children and teens with special needs, and/or adult day programs for adults and seniors who are frail and/or memory impaired.
- Facilitates social and recreational activities for participants on a daily basis.
- Assist clients with activities of daily living as needed
- Reports significant incidents to Supervisor(s) as they occur.
- Prompts participants to interact appropriately with peers and with all persons in program, and at site.
- Appropriately completes all required documentation.
- Attend all mandatory trainings and personally ensure that their attendance is scheduled per deadlines. Accompanying certifications (CPR; SCIP; AMAP) are to be sustained and scheduled as per required time-frames.
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor(s).
What You’ll Need To Be Successful:
- A minimum of one-year experience supporting people with developmental disabilities and/or neurodegenerative conditions (i.e. Dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s Disease, etc.) preferred
- Communication skills including strong interpersonal skills, and ability to speak, read and write effectively
- Ability to maintain HIPAA confidentiality and exercise discretion when discussing clients
- Demonstrate detail orientation
- Exhibit patience, initiative, enthusiasm, adaptability, resourcefulness
- Reliable and team player
- Able to effectively develop and document behavior management protocols
- Good oral and written communication skills required
- Valid Clean NYS Driver’s License. Ability to safely operate a 10 passenger van preferred
- AMAP/First Aid/CPR/SCIP-R Training preferred