Some say our approach is “different”. We say we’re championing a better way! A way to make work fun, fulfilling, and financially rewarding. We have a full-time opportunity that might be a fit for you! We are seeking a Café Manager to work with our Specialized Service Team at Sid Jacobson JCC Café. This position is in Nassau County, Long Island.
Customer service paired with knowledge and passion for quality food ingredients are the pillars on which Sid Jacobson JCC’s Community Café sales philosophy is based. Genuine enthusiasm for preserving the tradition of sustainability in food products and ingredients, simple but well-prepared dishes, and a purist approach to gourmet food products will drive sales within the cafe. This, coupled with an interest in working within a social enterprise supporting interns and staff with special needs, is the person we are looking for.
Sharing in this vision, having the ability to translate and communicate this to other staff, as well as expressing and bringing new ideas and concepts is essential for this position. As a growing business, a manager at Sid Jacobson JCC’s Community Café needs to be an individual with solid problem-solving skills, an ability to improvise and multi-task, as well as one who exhibits organizational skills and attention to detail.
How You’ll Help Us Be Successful:
- Supervising daily merchandising/presentation of all products in-store
- Providing knowledgeable, courteous service to all customers and communicating how to best interact with customers to additional counter staff
- Working with the Specialized Services team to appropriately train and delegate responsibilities
- Assisting in and ultimately taking over all purchasing for the café with the mission of the café at the forefront
- Receiving all food products and checking for quality
- Analyzing product movement and sales, then setting monthly spending budgets
- Maintaining cleanliness and organization in all parts of the retail floor as well as in product storage areas, refrigerators, and food prep stations
- Delegating cleaning and organization tasks to the additional counter staff
- Training of additional counter staff; leading by example in the areas of knowledge, friendliness, personal hygiene, and appearance
- Coordinating and supervising inventory and ordering of all retail products within monthly budgets
- Maintenance of vendor relationships and continual sampling of new products for the store
- Assisting in pricing retail products and entering data into POS software from vendor invoices
- Coordinating and supervising inventory and ordering of all retail products, bread, and other baked goods
- Keeping inventory and ordering paper products and packaging materials used in-store
- Communicating and coordinating with kitchen daily on all prepared food items – this includes: updating chalkboard menu/prices, maintaining pars for sandwich prep ingredients, and communicating any daily sales necessary
- Entering new prices for daily changing prepared food items into POS
- Communicating with counter staff in relation to the serving, preparing, and packaging of all sandwiches, prepared foods, etc.
- Coordinating and ensuring accuracy and maintenance of store signage
- Keeping menus, pricing and chalkboards updated
- Communicating with management and owners on all issues, positive and negative, relevant to enhancing the quality of service and hospitality
- Enforcing all Sid Jacobson JCC’s Community Café company policies as dictated in the employee manual
What You’ll Need To Be Successful:
- 1-3+ years of management experience, in café, restaurant, or other food service industries required
- Professional and effective communication skills, including the ability to present constructive feedback to staff
- Proven experience building high-functioning, diverse teams
- An approachable people person with a high level of emotional intelligence, patience, compassion, and problem-solving skills
- General comfort with the use of technology including POS and inventory management systems
- On-call for emergencies, ability to be on-site at cafe when urgently needed
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, perform repetitive motions with hands/wrists, carry up to 5 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally, and interact with customers for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week. These physical requirements must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of the job
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Must be authorized to work in the United States (Required)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, military status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Disability accommodations.
- Inclusive of minority and disadvantaged groups.
- LGBTQ+ friendly workplace.
- Age-inclusive Diversity and inclusion training or programs.
- Health Insurance, Paid time off, Retirement Plan, 100% agency-sponsored Pension Plan, Employee Discounts.
Sid Jacobson JCC is a beneficiary agency of the UJA Federation of New York.
The Sid Jacobson JCC has a mandatory vaccine policy, a dedicated medical advisory committee, newly installed air filters and air purification systems, common surfaces/areas are sanitized regularly, and members and staff are required to follow CDC regulations.