Sports

JCC Maccabi Games

Details for the 2018 Mini Maccabi and Jr. Maccabi games are now available!  Please click on the “Maccabi 2018 Details” link below for: day of schedules, logistics, sports offered and tryout information.

Since 1982, the JCC Maccabi Games have been offering Jewish teens a unique social, cultural, and life-shaping experience. The Games serve a larger purpose than athletic and creative competition – they promote community involvement, teamwork, and pride in being Jewish. The energy and excitement make the Games an unforgettable experience for every participant, from athlete to volunteer, from coaches to host families.

Frequently Asked Questions 2017

FAQs

In an effort to help parents and athletes, we have compiled the most often-asked questions and concerns from previous JCC Maccabi Games®.  We hope that this provides you with valuable information and a better understanding of the Games. Click Here

 

Mini & Junior Maccabi

THE SPRING 2018 JCC MACCABI GAMES

Date: May 6, 2018
Location: 
Baltimore, MD
Time: 8:30am-5/5:30pm

Tryouts at Sid Jacobson: January/February 2018, see below for more information

Sports Offered (for both age groups):
> Girls Basketball
> Boys Basketball
> Girls Soccer
> Boys Soccer
> Co-ed Swimming
> Co-ed Tennis
> Co-ed Table Tennis

Overview: The JCC Maccabi Games offer a unique social, cultural, and life-shaping experience. The Games serve a larger purpose than athletic competition – they promote community involvement, teamwork, and pride in being Jewish. Participants must identify as being Jewish.

________________________________________

MINI MACCABI*

Ages: 9 & 10 years (Open to all athletes who are 9 & 10 years of age as of 05/01/18.)

What is Mini Maccabi?
Mini Maccabi is a one day tournament for Jewish athletes ages 9 & 10. More than 400 athletes from eight JCCs across the mid-Atlantic will be competing. The game help prepare the athletes for the JCC Jr. Maccabi Games.

The Mini Maccabi “Day Of” Experience
> Opening ceremonies begin at 8:30am with an Olympic-style parade of athletes
> Directly after, the round-robin tournament will begin
> Lunch will follow (and is provided to all athletes)
> After lunch, a single elimination medal round and consolation games begin
> The day will conclude by 5pm

________________________________________

JR. MACCABI*

Ages: 11 & 12 years (Open to all athletes who are 11 & 12 years of age as of 05/01/18.)

What is Jr. Maccabi?
Mini Maccabi is a one day tournament for Jewish athletes ages 11 & 12. More than 700 athletes from fifteen JCCs across the mid-Atlantic will be competing. The game help prepare the athletes for the JCC Maccabi Games.

The Jr. Maccabi “Day Of” Experience
> Opening ceremonies begin at 8:30am with an Olympic-style parade of athletes
> Directly after, the round-robin tournament will begin
> Lunch will follow (and is provided to all athletes)
> After lunch, a single elimination medal round and consolation games begin
> The day will conclude by 5:30pm

________________________________________

TRYOUTS

Sunday, January 28
Basketball
> Mini Maccabi, 3-4pm
> Jr. Maccabi, 4-5pm

Soccer
> Mini Maccabi, 6-7pm
> Jr. Maccabi, 7-8pm

Sunday, February 4
Basketball
> Mini Maccabi, 3-4pm
> Jr. Maccabi, 4-5pm

Soccer
> Mini Maccabi, 6-7pm
> Jr. Maccabi, 7-8pm
___________________

Maccabi
2018 Details

THE SPRING 2018 JCC MACCABI GAMES

Date: May 6, 2018
Location: 
Baltimore, MD
Time: 8:30am-5/5:30pm

Tryouts at Sid Jacobson: January/February 2018, see below for more information

Sports Offered (for both age groups):
> Girls Basketball
> Boys Basketball
> Girls Soccer
> Boys Soccer
> Co-ed Swimming
> Co-ed Tennis
> Co-ed Table Tennis

Overview: The JCC Maccabi Games offer a unique social, cultural, and life-shaping experience. The Games serve a larger purpose than athletic competition – they promote community involvement, teamwork, and pride in being Jewish. Participants must identify as being Jewish.

________________________________________

MINI MACCABI*

Ages: 9 & 10 years (Open to all athletes who are 9 & 10 years of age as of 05/01/18.)

What is Mini Maccabi?
Mini Maccabi is a one day tournament for Jewish athletes ages 9 & 10. More than 400 athletes from eight JCCs across the mid-Atlantic will be competing. The game help prepare the athletes for the JCC Jr. Maccabi Games.

The Mini Maccabi “Day Of” Experience
> Opening ceremonies begin at 8:30am with an Olympic-style parade of athletes
> Directly after, the round-robin tournament will begin
> Lunch will follow (and is provided to all athletes)
> After lunch, a single elimination medal round and consolation games begin
> The day will conclude by 5pm

________________________________________

JR. MACCABI*

Ages: 11 & 12 years (Open to all athletes who are 11 & 12 years of age as of 05/01/18.)

What is Jr. Maccabi?
Mini Maccabi is a one day tournament for Jewish athletes ages 11 & 12. More than 700 athletes from fifteen JCCs across the mid-Atlantic will be competing. The game help prepare the athletes for the JCC Maccabi Games.

The Jr. Maccabi “Day Of” Experience
> Opening ceremonies begin at 8:30am with an Olympic-style parade of athletes
> Directly after, the round-robin tournament will begin
> Lunch will follow (and is provided to all athletes)
> After lunch, a single elimination medal round and consolation games begin
> The day will conclude by 5:30pm

________________________________________

TRYOUTS

Sunday, January 28
Basketball
> Mini Maccabi, 3-4pm
> Jr. Maccabi, 4-5pm

Soccer
> Mini Maccabi, 6-7pm
> Jr. Maccabi, 7-8pm

Sunday, February 4
Basketball
> Mini Maccabi, 3-4pm
> Jr. Maccabi, 4-5pm

Soccer
> Mini Maccabi, 6-7pm
> Jr. Maccabi, 7-8pm
________________________________________

For more information, contact Philip Flynn, Director of Sports & Leagues, 516.484.1545 ext. 133, pflynn@sjjcc.org

*A copy of birth certificate and insurance card are required at all tryouts.

Save

Basketball
Training

GROUP OR ONE-ON-ONE TRAINING
Ages: 7+ years

Tailored Sessions to teach both advanced skills for competitive players, and fundamentals for beginners.

INDIVIDUAL PRIVATE LESSONS
30 minutes
$65 / members $45

50 minutes
$85 / members $65

10-PACK of PRIVATE LESSONS
30 minutes
$550 / members $350

50 minutes
$750 / members $550

INDIVIDUAL GROUP LESSONS (up to 5 participants)
30 minutes
$85 / members $65

50 minutes
$125 / members $105

10-PACK of GROUP LESSONS (up to 5 participants)
30 minutes
$750 / members $550

50 minutes
$1,115 / members $905

For more information, contact Philip Flynn, Director of Sports + Leagues, 516-484-1545, ext. 133, pflynn@sjjcc.org

coach-dee-at-the-barclay-centerCoach Dee

Nat Lancaster Coach

  • NBA Certified Clinician through USA Basketball Youth Development and Licensed.
  • Certified with Positive Coaching Alliance.
  • Coached at the World Famous Rucker Park in Harlem New York Pro Am Division.
  • Has worked with NBA Players such as Anthony Morrow, James Harden, Brandon Jennings, Michael Carter Williams, Anthony Tolliver, Markel Brown, Rondae Hollis Jefferson.
  • Has worked with the Brooklyn Nets Summer Camps for eight years.
  • Has worked individual NBA camps with Pro Camps.com
  • Certified Personal trainer through National Academy Of Sports Medicine.
  • Selected to work NBA Fit Week All-star weekend 2015.

theodore-czubakowski
Coach Theo
After playing 2 seasons at Chaminade High School, Theo decided to go into private basketball training in 2009, his junior year of high school.His experience includes coaching at Corpus Christi Basketball Clinic and St. Francis Preparatory High School Basketball Camp.  Additionally, he was head coach at St. Ambrose CYO and for a JV basketball team in the Island Garden Spring League. Theo is also a basketball trainer at the JCC and is very excited about teaching this class.. He separates himself from other trainers by specializing in footwork. He believes with proper footwork, any player can create space off of the dribble no matter what athletic disadvantage they may have.


Coach Khadim

New York Knicks/Brooklyn Nets basketball camps | China basketball camp in over 10 cities in China | Sid Jacobson Jewish Community Center

  • Organize, lead, instruct and referee for outdoor and indoor games of basketball or other
  • Instruct individuals or groups in sports rules, game strategies and performance principles, such as specific ways of moving the body, hands or feet, to achieve desired
  • Explain and enforce safety rules and
  • Plan, organize and conduct practice sessions with NBA

COACH                                                                                                                                 July 2012-Present

St. John’s University Basketball Camp Queens, NY

  • Plan, organize and conduct practice
  • Explain and enforce safety rules and
  • Plan and direct physical conditioning programs that will enable athletes to achieve maximum
  • Plan strategies and choose team members for individual games or sports
  • Perform activities to support a team or specific sport, such as participating in community outreach activities, meeting with media representatives and appearing at fundraising

Sports Classes
+ Clinics

BASKETBALL

LEVEL II BASKETBALL CLINIC 
Ages: 4-5 years
Continue to advance your basketball skills! This clinic is geared towards 4-5 year old boys who have completed beginner’s classes with us. Led by Darnell Hickman, “Coach D,” Fundamentals/Skills Basketball Trainer.
8 sessions
Begins Saturday, December 2
9:15-10:15am
$280 / members $250
Register

BASKETBALL CLINIC
Ages: 7+ years
Have fun on the hardwood, learn the fundamentals, practice drills and conditioning exercises.
Monday, January 15
10am-12pm

OPEN BASKETBALL
Ages: 15+ years
Must be accompanied by a member.
Ongoing
Monday-Friday, 5-10pm
Saturdays, 1-Close*
Sundays, 10am-Close*
$20 non-members

PICKUP BASKETBALL
Ages: 15+ years
Ongoing
Monday-Thursday, 5-8pm
Friday, 3-5pm
$20/members free


LACROSSE

Please check back this winter for our next sessions!


SOCCER

Please check back this winter for our next sessions!

JCC FUTSAL WINTER INVITATIONAL
Boys and Girls, U8-U12 Divisions
Our indoor soccer league is a great way for high school boys and girls to develop precise ball control, technical skill, agility and decision-making, while enjoying friendly competition! Limited space. Registration closes on November 24.
December 2-February 19
$895/ members $845 (if paid by November 10)
$945/ members $895 (if paid after November 10)

*Please note that the Health + Wellness Center closes 30 minutes before the building closes.


Basketball
League

FALL/SPRING BASKETBALL LEAGUE
Ages: 18+ years
Perfect dribbling, refine shooting and improve endurance as you workout alongside new teammates. Includes: trained scorekeepers, two official referees and league jerseys. Registration closes on September 21.
10 games
Begins Monday, September 25
8:15pm and 9:15pm
$1,200 / members $900 (per team)

Jacobson
Ninja Warrior


JUNIOR KNICKS BASKETBALL CLINICS

These ‘101’ classes are designed to teach kids the fundamentals of basketball in a structured setting. Led by Jr. Knicks coaches, each participant will receive an exclusive Jr. Knicks T-shirt. Space is limited and pre-registration is required. Children may only register for one clinic.
Wednesday, December 27
Session 1: 10-11:15am, register
Session 2: 11:30am-12:45pm, register
$10 / members free


HOOPS FOR HARRISON (benefiting the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America)

Help raise funds for this non-profit, volunteer-driven organization during our 5th annual Hoops for Harrison 3-on-3 basketball tournament. The day will also include Challenge Shot, 3-Point, and shooting contests, along with a silent auction and raffles. In addition, we’ll have XBox, ping pong, drinks & snacks! Walk-ins will not be accepted.

Saturday, January 13
Middle school students, 10am-12:30pm
Adults (17+ years), 1-4pm
High school students, 5-7pm

Team registration, 3-5 members per team
Early bird registration, $125 (through Saturday, December 16)
General registration, $150 (Sunday, December 17 to Friday, January 5)
Late registration, $165 (Saturday, January 6 to Wednesday, January 10)

Register today!

Looking to become a sponsor?  We’ve got 4 levels available!

For more information on the event and sponsorship opportunities, contact Joey Falk, Teen Program Supervisor, 516.484.1545 ext. 179, jfalk@sjjcc.org

Looking for more information about our sports programs?

Philip Flynn, Director of Sports + Leagues, 516.484.1545 ext. 133, pflynn@sjjcc.org

Fitness Center Welcome Desk, 516.484.1545 ext. 139

This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work! Please upgrade today!